History of Lamar Little League
|1954||As we know it now, Lamar Little League's name was originally Fort Bend National Little
League. It had four teams; one each in Sugar Land and Needville and two from
Rosenberg. The boys from Richmond played on the Rosenberg teams on a field in
Rosenberg. Very instrumental in the league in the early days was Hilmar Moore
(Richmond's Mayor). Hilmar had 3 sons who all participated in the Lamar Little League
program. The league was known as Fort Bend National Little League and believe or not
but no games were played in Richmond! They played on baseball fields in Rosenberg and
|1956||In 1956 Fort Bend National Little League added a fifth team. An Alief team joined the
league. The teams from Rosenberg and Richmond were the Red Sox and the Blue Sox.
|1958||In 1958, Lamar Little League was formed, while the Fort Bend National Little League
continued to operate but without players from Richmond or Rosenberg. Richmond's two
teams were the Fyr Fyters, sponsored by the Richmond Fire Department, and the Tigers,
sponsored by the Rotary Club of Richmond. On May 13, 1958, home games were played
on the fields located at the "NEW" T. W. Davis Memorial Park. Richmond Mayor
Hilmar Moore threw out the first pitch, which was caught by Rosenberg Mayor, Guy
McNutt. It was Hilmar's close tie to Mamie George that to the creation of TW Davis
Park, which was exclusively a youth baseball complex. Hilmar had encouraged Mamie's
support for what he saw as a need for youth in the community. Understanding the times,
Mamie actually funded three parks: two in North Richmond, one for Blacks and one for
Hispanics. That land is now part of the LCISD's Seguin Elementary Campus. Hilmar had
Mamie's trust and respect because Hilmar managed the cattle operations at the George
Ranch for 17 years after the death of Albert George. Lamar Little League had two teams
from Richmond and four teams from Rosenberg. Mamie George named the park after her
brother T.W. who had enjoyed baseball and played while he attended Saint Edwards
University in Austin in the 1890's.
|1976||Lamar Little League formed a corporation. It was called Lamar National Little League,
its President was Poy Levy and its Vice President was Jodie Stavinoha.
|1978||Lamar Little League used the baseball at the fields at T WDavis. (Now the YMCA)|
|1979||Richmond / Rosenberg basketball parents asked the George Foundation if they could
build a place for the children who played basketball on the fields where Lamar Little
League played baseball. The George Foundation said yes and built the T W Davis
Building we now know as the YMCA.
|1986||The YMCA moved in and ran the TW Davis Building. They changed the name to YMCA
T W Davis.
|1993||The YMCA created their own baseball program and after many years of us sharing the
fields, Lamar Little League had outgrown the slots that were provided by the YMCA, so
they started searching for a new home.
|1997||Lamar Little League (LLL) went to the City of Richmond and met with then and current
Mayor Hilmar Moore, to see if the City could help our league. Thanks to the Mayor and
City Manager, Glenn Gilmore, we were allowed to sign a long-term lease on the George
Park property. We found a new home. George Park had two fields (#4 and #5) – both
were totally grass, infields and dugouts! With help of (you guessed it) volunteers the
fences were moved, we were awarded a $30,000 matching grant from the George
Foundation to help pay for the cost of the lights, and we borrowed the rest. Taking a
quote from a former President of LLL, Lynne Humphries, "George Park baseball
complex was born." Please go to our website to read Lynne and another former President
of our league, Terry Taylor's letters.
|1996||The Second Big Field (#8) added to support the 13 year olds and up program.|
|1997||Fields 1,2, 3, 6, and 7 were built.|
|1999||The field lighting contract was paid off, thanks to all the volunteers who helped sell all
those hot dogs and hamburgers. We installed dugout and bleacher covers, LLL and the
City negotiated a 99 year lease.
|2000||Field 9 was built.|
|2003||New concession stand opened, along with the addition of air conditioning to the
bathrooms, our meeting room and additional parking lots and sidewalks. Creation of the
Brent Dunlap Foundation Matching Gift program at Lamar Little League produced two
additional batting cages. (see our web page under "In Memory") Our 11/12 Year Old All
Star team came in 5th at the World Series in Williamsport, PA.
|2004||Our 12 Year Old All Star team came in 2nd in the United States and 3rd in the World at
World Series in Williamsport, PA. We also installed Field Lighting and a Scoreboard for
|2005||After 51 years, Lamar Little League was forced to split into two separate leagues. We are
now Lamar American Little League and Lamar National Little League. After many
complaints from other leagues to headquarters about us having such excellent All Star
Teams we were forced to divide our talent into two separate groups. No big deal . . . we
still did fine! Especially our 10-year-old National Team! They went as far as they could
go by winning state in Tyler Texas! Also we are now debt free, we paid off our loan for
the concession stand early.